Monday, March 11, 2013

Introduction

Hi everyone reading this (i.e. no one). I'm Danny, and welcome to the terrible place that is my mind! I'm currently a graduate student in Astronomy and Astrophysics at Penn State University with a rather unfocused array of interests including exoplanets, planetary habitability, astrobiology, supernovae, neutrinos, nucleosynthesis, stellar evolution, Neil DeGrasse Tyson (yes, he counts as a separate interest all by himself), and science (particularly physics/astronomy) education. In short, I'm a nerdy, somewhat athletic, tattooed metalhead with more sarcasm than should exist within any single person.

I decided to start this blog largely as a challenge to myself of "can I actually do this?" Plus, I figure with wanting to eventually go into public outreach, science policy, and/or science education, practicing my written communication skills can't hurt. Worst case scenario: this ends up as a dead project that I never update and no one ever reads. Best case scenario: this ends up as a fantastic creative exercise that I update often and no one ever reads. I obviously don't have particularly high hopes for readership, largely because I can't really fathom people finding my thoughts or opinions interesting enough to keep them coming back for more. But hey, I can always be pleasantly surprised!

You may be wondering "What can I expect out of this blog in the future?" Well, I'm glad you asked! The topics of discussion will, of course, depend largely on what's going on at the time. Maybe I'll have an interesting story or anecdote about something that recently happened to me. Maybe there will be a science result (most likely astronomical, but physics is also a relevant topic) that I think is particularly interesting. If I'm lucky enough, perhaps it will even be one of mine someday. Maybe I'll just complain about life as a grad student, as we are all wont to do. Maybe I'll be ranting about politics (warning in advance: I'm rather openly progressive) on a local, country, or global scale. I'll try to shy away from that, as it's not my job to tell you, the reader, what to think; but once in a while, I'll just have to vent. I may also talk about music, particularly if a new metal album comes out, though I may also write about older ones that I still love just to share my music with other people. I guess we'll see how I feel in the days/weeks/months to come.

And yes, the name of the blog is a play on the fact that I'm also a huge metalhead, as stated above.

Cheers everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment